Monday, June 8, 2009

Day 1.5

So left Ottawa bright and early at 6am and landed in SF at 11:30am their time. Little weary and tired but stoked to be there and have most of day to hang out. We spent that afternoon wondering around SF checking out a few shops, HUF, and DLX mainly. While in DLX I ran into Mike Dahr, someone who I had met only once before in FL. To my surprise he remembered me and told me John Montessi (mutual friend) was also in town. I was hyped because I knew John had lots of connections and could possibly be an in for the "Back to the Berg".

That night we wanted to keep it low key and got cheap tickets to the Giants game. Being a hockey fan I never understood how someone could watch a whole baseball game. That night we found out...lots of beer, thats how. Our mellow night quickly turned into something else, but was well worth it.

We awoke bright, early, and hung over the next morning. Grabbed our boards, coffee and headed out for Wallenberg. We got there around 9:30, and to our amazement, hardly anyone was there. (on our way there past the safeway curb that every 80's/90's SF pro has a least one trick on) Just as the dudes getting things set up and putting the finishing touches on the roll in. We found a spot along the rail at the last step and did not move our lower bodies for the next 4hrs. Dedication!

Not only were they working on the roll in, they were also fixing the "dip" with bondo. Not sure how I feel about this, kinda takes something away from it but I guess the roll in does as well, what ever.

There was one dude, working on his switch heels and switch frontside flips, he was catching them waist high. He must of psyched himself out though. If you watch the Thrasher footy hes the one Jake mocks with the shaking all scared move.

Later this week I will post my TMZ style pics from the contest.








1 comment:

Keith said...

nice! Thanks Rob. Looking forward to all the coverage from a Canadians perspective.